Saturday, May 10, 2008

Forest Floor

Last week, at the flea, I had a special request. A commission if you will. Well, actually three, no, make it four! Gosh. It really was so cool. People just started asking if I would do a tree in a container that they brought me and I thought, sure, why not? I mean, that's what this whole shopping local thing is all about, right? PLUS they're giving me great artistic license and trust, which is a makers dream! So... three containers came to me that very day, found in another vendors space and the fourth I'll put together at a later date. Here's the first:

A mini tree in a vintage metal JELLO mold.

When I saw this container I immediately thought of a blossoming cherry tree. Perhaps inspired by a recent trip to the Botanical Garden. I usually steer clear of foliage, but just had to add blossoms on this!!


One other request was for two fiddle heads and a toadstool. I'm waiting for the container to arrive, but in the meantime I thought I'd make fern/mushroom combinations for sale as well. I'm not sure I'll be able to part with this one though, or my favorite dome cover thingy.


More forest floors...






This whole, special request container style has inspired me. I want to start seeking unique containers for my trees, like this one, that I found at Salvation Army. Much better then buying new!!

2 comments:

Kj said...

Holy Crap! I just can't handle these. they're too heartbreakingly wonderful!

Unknown said...

must. have. fiddlehead fern and toadstool!

you're so inventive and talented! kudos!