Sunday, June 8, 2008

How cool is this?

I pulled out an old package of seam binding tonight to make something and discovered the sweetest thing on the back of its label. You might have to enlarge to the photo to see it...

Basically the gist is that for three discarded wrappers and 15 cents they'll send a bag of clippings for your child. I think it's so rad that the company is willing to do that and advertise it! Wouldn't it be nice if that were the way today? I would so be all over that grab bag!! Maybe I should see if they still do it... hmmmmmm...


*update

When checking out the address above, I noticed it didn't have a zip code. I of course thought this made it very old, you know from before zip codes! Then I did research to find out that the United States started zip codes in 1963! So, the package is probably not that old. Although, 15 cents is a pretty small amount... any guesses out there. How old is this offer? Will it still stand? (Ha)

2 comments:

Kj said...

great find- i didn't go searching for postage rate history, but since the 15 cents would be for a thick envelope of fabric scraps, not just a letter, and based on the pre-zip code era, I'd say this is probably mid-1950's. Pre 1950 you wouldn't be paying postage for fabric scraps, nor would companies be giving them away, be it the depression or the war effort. so an offer this domestically inclined seems very 1950's baby boom, TV era- rather than radio/rationing time. My official guess: 1955

Anonymous said...

Sorry to disapoint you girls, but first class postage was 8 cents when I graduated college in 1973; 10 cents in 1974; and 15 cents in 1978!